In this phase of human existence when environment is filled with different type of polluted gases Radon testing has become a mandatory affair during buying or selling any property. According to researchers in USA Radon gas is one of the causes of lung cancer. Every year more than 20,000 thousand death occurs due to lung cancer in US and that too is for the presence of Radon Gas. Radon is gas which cannot be seen, smelled nor felt but this is the next cause of lung cancer in US which is claiming more than 20000 lives every year.
Radon gas is a radioactive gas spread all over US in considerable large amount. It usually vents out as a cessation of uranium present in rock, water and soil and then gets mixed with the air which all breathes. The gas has a tendency to move upwards and thus gets into the homes or offices only through the crack, holes present either in the foundation or in any part of the building. If there is any well water nearby it is a threat for all.
How can one be sure of a home free from Radon Gas
- While buying of selling a home one should be sure of the presence of Radon
- One should be clear that the house is built of Radon resistant material and also whether the home is radon tested or not
- One should immediately carryout Radon testing if Radon is more than 4 picocuries per liter or even if it is higher.
- Less than 4 Pci/ltr is also a threat. It is recommended to have less than 2.5 Pci/Ltr or less than that.
- Take steps if the house is high with Radon.
- Homes below three stories Radon testing is mandatory.
- If anyone smokes at home in spite of the presence of Radon then risk of lung cancer is much more.
- Even if the Radon gas is at a very high level then there are lots of ways by which one can reduce the radon gas at a reasonable acceptable level.
- Before buying or selling the house always one should put the home for Radon testing. Negligent attitude will lead one to severe threat.
Environment Protection system (EPA) suggests few guidelines which is mandatory to follow to avoid the Radon threat:
- While buying a house one should ask the seller about the Radon test report. If the House has the system incorporated in order to reduce the Radon level then before buying the house one should ask the operation system.
- If the House is not Radon testing, it is better to test the Radon level.
- While constructing new home, one should use the building material which has the capacity to check Radon Gas or should install features in order to reduce the Radon level at home
Any house can have Radon gas. EPA published guidelines as to how to check the Radon level at homes. It also suggests that homes should be properly sealed, well crafted. It is not always right that if one home is radon free the next will also be free from it. It is only the radon test conducted by all in the area that gives a clear and somewhat authentic picture of the Radon testing.